Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Back from Colorado

Sniff, sniff, choke, choke -- we're back from our trip to Lake City, Colorado. My body loved the 30-70 degree temps and isn't real happy that we're back in the 70-90 degree temps of North Texas (or maybe my body isn't happy that we are now half a century old).

We've never taken a trip to Colorado this late in the year, so we weren't sure what to expect. We were totally taken aback by the leaves changing. Each day, as we made our drive to the streams, we oooohhhheed and ahhhheedd over the Aspen's beautiful colors. Our first drive up, the leaves were just starting to change from green to yellow. By the end of our trip, the leaves were anywhere from a vibrant green, to a brilliant yellow, orange and red.

Wow! It was amazing!

This is a picture (actually, it's blended from 5 bracketed exposures -- all hand held -- I wished I'd had my tripod handy for a sharp pic) I took after we arrived back at Dub's cabin after dinner.


Once again, the trout won! I fished five days and caught one itty, bitty brown. Rick, on the other hand, caught a number of trout, some around 15 inches long.



I'm blaming my lack of fish on having a somewhat impaired fly rod. One morning, as Rick was fishing, I opted to start out taking pictures of the cattle that were walking towards the car. Me, being the chicken, was too afraid to shoo them off, so they ended up at the car, nose-y-ing around. I was really worried that they were chewing on my waders and didn't pay attention to my fly rod. At some point, one cow took a bite out of my rod. So (wait for it, wait for it, here's my excuse) my rod wasn't balanced and I'm sure it adversely affected my toss (yep, that's my very lame excuse).






Can you see why I didn't want to shoo them away?????? Some of the cows had horns with points. I've seen videos of The Running of the Bulls -- and you don't want to be on the other end of those horns!!!

All I can figure is that my feet smell like cow food or something because every cow out there came by to check out my boots. They licked my boots and got slimy cow spit on them. Yuck! Quite honestly, I was more relieved they didn't pee on them!



The cows, while rooting around the car, scattered some of Rick's dry flies on the ground and coated them with slobber. A little bath in water and a quick dry on a paper towel cured the slobber coated flies.

We had a great time and can't wait until we return next year. I'll be posting more pics as I can.

I hope all of you have a great week!

;~D  Frances

1 comment:

Translate Please

Followers

Labels

Powered By Blogger

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP